How to Measure Saree Size? Choosing the perfect saree involves more than just falling in love with a beautiful design. To truly shine in your saree, it’s essential to ensure the perfect fit. One size doesn’t fit all when it comes to sarees, and taking accurate measurements is key.
This process of measuring your saree size enables you to confidently select sarees that flatter your body shape and provide the utmost comfort.
How to Measure Saree Size for a Typical Saree
|Saree Size (in centimeters)
|540 – 570
|36 – 40
|70 – 80
|90 – 100
|80 – 90
|15 – 20
Different saree lengths and the occasions they are most appropriate for:
- Casual Wear Saree: Casual wear sarees typically measure around 5.5 meters. These sarees are perfect for daily wear and informal occasions where comfort is paramount.
- Standard Saree Length: The standard saree length is approximately 6 meters. This length is the most common and versatile choice, suitable for regular wear to various events and gatherings.
- Traditional Saree Length: Traditional sarees are longer, measuring around 7 meters. These sarees are reserved for special occasions, cultural events, and formal gatherings where a more elaborate drape is desired.
- Special Occasions Saree: For weddings and grand celebrations, special sarees measuring around 9 meters are preferred. These sarees offer a grand and regal look, perfect for making a statement.
Different Saree Lengths for Different Occasions
|Casual Wear Saree
|Daily wear, informal events
|Standard Saree Length
|Regular events, gatherings
|Traditional Saree Length
|Special occasions, cultural events
|Special Occasions Saree
|Weddings, grand celebrations
Measuring Various Aspects of Saree Size
|Measure from the floor to the top of your head in centimeters (cm)
|Measure the distance between the outer edges of your shoulders in cm
|Measure from the shoulder down to the desired length in cm
|Measure around the narrowest part of your waist in cm
|Measure around the fullest part of your hips in cm
|Measure around the fullest part of your bust in cm
|Measure from the shoulder to the desired sleeve length in cm
|Determine the desired length based on occasion and personal preference
- Height Measurement: Stand straight against a wall and measure from the floor to the top of your head. Note down this measurement in centimeters (cm).
- Choosing the Desired Saree Length: Refer to the table above and select the appropriate saree length based on the occasion and personal preference.
- Adjustments for Blouse and Border: Deduct the blouse length (usually around 15-18 cm) and border width from the desired saree length. This calculation will give you the final saree length to look for when making a purchase.
Measuring Saree Pallu Length
- Shoulder Width Measurement: Stand straight with your arms relaxed by your sides. Measure the distance between the outer edges of your shoulders and note it down in centimeters (cm).
- Determining the Pallu Length: Add 100-150 cm to your shoulder width measurement to determine the ideal pallu length. This will provide ample fabric for an elegant and graceful pallu drape.
Additional Tips for the Perfect Fit
- Wear the Right Petticoat: The petticoat plays a crucial role in the overall saree look. Ensure it is well-fitted and matches your waist and hip measurements for a comfortable and well-draped saree.
- Pay Attention to Blouse Measurements: A well-fitted blouse is essential for a flattering look. Take accurate measurements of your bust, waist, and sleeve length to ensure a blouse that complements your saree perfectly.
Saree Size Recommendations for Different Body Types
- Petite: Opt for lighter saree fabrics and shorter lengths to avoid overwhelming your frame. Choose sarees with minimal embellishments and delicate patterns.
- Curvy: Look for sarees with wider borders and draping styles that enhance your curves. Georgette and chiffon sarees drape beautifully on curvy figures.
- Tall: Celebrate your height with longer saree lengths and bold patterns. Experiment with different saree draping styles and fabrics to create stunning looks.
Conclusion: Mastering the art of measuring saree size is essential for every saree enthusiast. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can confidently select sarees that fit you perfectly and enhance your natural beauty.
Remember to consider the occasion, saree body type, and personal preferences when choosing the right saree length and pallu measurements. With the right measurements and a little experimentation, you’ll be ready to make a fashion statement that turns heads wherever you go.
FAQs on Saree Sizes
How do I measure the saree length?
To measure the saree length, start from your waist and drape the saree around your body once, bringing it to the front. Let the loose end of the saree touch the floor. Note the length, and adjust it based on your preference for the desired drape.
How do I measure the blouse’s length?
To measure the blouse length, start from the top of your shoulder and measure down to your desired length. This can vary depending on whether you prefer a shorter or longer blouse.
How do I measure the waist for saree sizing?
To measure your waist, wrap a measuring tape around the narrowest part of your waist, typically above your belly button. Ensure that the tape is snug but not too tight, and record the measurement.
How do I measure the bust for blouse sizing?
To measure your bust, wrap a measuring tape around the fullest part of your bust, ensuring it’s parallel to the floor. Record the measurement without pulling the tape too tight.
What if my measurements fall between two sizes?
If your measurements fall between two sizes, it’s generally recommended to choose the larger size. You can always alter the garment later for a more customized fit.
Should I consider my body shape when measuring for a saree?
Yes, considering your body shape is important when measuring a saree. For example, if you have a pear-shaped body, you may want to ensure the blouse fits well around your bust and shoulders, while if you have an hourglass shape, you may want to emphasize your waistline with the drape.
Can I use these measurements for all types of sarees?
These measurements provide a general guideline for standard sarees. However, different types of sarees may have specific measurements based on their design and drape. It’s always recommended to refer to the specific sizing guidelines provided by the saree manufacturer or retailer.